Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"SIMPLY JESUS" DAILY DEVOTIONAL - WALKING IN JESUS - Monday, October 13, 2014

Monday, October 13, 2014
"SIMPLY JESUS" DAILY DEVOTIONAL - WALK IN HIM

Colossians 2:6  As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him.

Elsewhere in the New Testament Jesus is called
"both LORD and CHRIST," (Acts 2:36),
"the LORD JESUS CHRIST" (Acts 16:31),
"Our LORD JESUS CHRIST" (Romans 5:1), and
"JESUS CHRIST our LORD" (Romans 7:25.
Here He is identified as "CHRIST JESUS THE LORD!" (Colossians 2:6)

"CHRIST" signifies that He is our Messiah--the anointed One. 
"JESUS" means that He is our Savior--our blessed Redeemer! 
And "LORD" confirms that He is our One Authority and King

Those who are Christ's declare Him LORD of ALL. 
With HIS WORD we always agree.
In HIS WAY we daily walk. 
And HIS WILL is our will--the continual prayer of our hearts is "not my will but thine."

"Walking in Christ" implies,
...ACTION.  If a person is walking in Christ they acting as Christ acts. 
...PROGRESS.  As we walk with Him we grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord.
...CONTINUANCE.  Our walk is not to be on and off again.  We "walk in the light, as HE is in the light," and "have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ HIS Son cleanses us from all sin." 
...HABIT.  Charles Spurgeon puts it this way, "When we speak of a man's walk and conversation, we mean his habits, the constant tenor of his life. Now, if we sometimes enjoy Christ, and then forget Him; sometimes call Him ours, and anon lose our hold, that is not a habit; we do not walk in Him. We must keep to Him, cling to Him, never let Him go, but live and have our being in Him."
...JOY.  The song writer was right, 
And He walks with me and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share, as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

Receiving and believing JESUS is more than a discreet one time event.  While we are saved in that moment we thoroughly repent and believe Christ, we are continually being saved as we walk in Him. Our all consuming desire is to walk as He walked. All who have received Christ desire and love to live as He lived. 

The great Prayer warrior Andrew Murray put it this way, "It is not only by faith that we first come to Christ and are united to Him, but it is by faith that we are rooted and established in our union with Christ...Abiding in Jesus can only be by faith." 

The Apostle Paul summed it up, "We walk by faith."  (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Having started walking with Him, lets continue walking in Him. 

WITH WHOM? 
IN WHOM?
"SIMPLY JESUS."

O I love to walk with Jesus
Like the publicans of old,
When He gathered them about Him
And the blessèd tidings told;
How He came to bring deliverance
To the captives in distress,
Take away our ev’ry burden,
Giving perfect peace and rest.


Refrain
I will follow where He leadeth;
I will pasture where He feedeth.
I will follow all the way, Lord.
I will follow Jesus ev’ry day.
 
O I love to walk with Jesus
Like the man of long ago
Who had tarried by the wayside
Near the gates of Jericho,
Jesus heard his cry for mercy,
Gave him back his sight that day,
And immediately he followed
Jesus all along the way.

 
O I love to walk with Jesus
All the way to Calv’ry’s brow,
Gaze upon that scene of suffering
While my tears of sorrow flow.
There He tells me how He loves me—
Takes my ev’ry sin away;
So I follow Him so gladly,
Lead me anywhere He may.

 
O sometime I’ll walk with Jesus
In that land of endless day,
When our journey here is over
And we’ve reached our home to stay.
Then I’ll walk with him forever,
Sing His praises o’er and o’er,
And with all the saints in glory
Love, and worship, and adore.  By Charles Wiegle



www.fccstlouis.org
 






 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment