Tuesday, October 21, 2014

"SIMPLY JESUS" DAILY DEVOTIONAL - PUT ON CHRIST - Tuesday, October 21, 2014

 
"SIMPLY JESUS" DAILY DEVOTIONAL
PUT ON CHRIST
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
______________________
 
COLOSSIANS 3:8-10
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.
______________________

Christ's men are new and renewed.

They purposefully put off anger, wrath, and malice.  The uncontrolled temper is a mark of immaturity and carnality.  By the knowledge of Christ we mature.  By the Spirit of Christ carnality is cleansed.

They talk a different talk.  Blasphemy, filthy talk, and lying are never in their vocabulary. 

But putting off the old man is not enough. Christ's men put on a new man--one that is renewed and like our holy Creator. 

The Apostle urged the Colossians to be accountable. He gave them specific objectives to meet.  In that same spirit, John Wesley and the first Methodists held themselves accountable by daily asking these questions:

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am?  In other words, am I a hypocrite?

2. Am I honest in all my acts and words or do I exaggerate?

3. Do I confidentially pass on to others what has been said to me in confidence?

4. Can I be trusted?

5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?

6. Am I self-conscious, self pitying, or self-justifying?

7. Did the Bible live in me today?

8. Do I give the Bible time to speak to me everyday?

9. Am I enjoying prayer?

10. When did I last speak to someone else of my faith?

11. Do I pray about the money I spend?

12. Did I get to bed on time and get up on time?

13. Did I disobey God in anything?

14. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?

15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?

16. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?

17. How do I spend my spare time?

18. Am I proud?

19. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?

20. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard?  If so, what am I doing about it?

21. Do I grumble or complain constantly?

22. Is Christ real to me?

Who is the key to victory in all these areas of life?  "Simply Jesus."




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment