“So what do you know?”
“Not much. You?”
“Actually, I’m glad you asked... I know that…
…An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
…You take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
…You can cut down a tree with a dull axe, but a sharp one is much faster.
…Happiness is a by-product. Look for happiness and you’ll be disappointed. But decide to give generously, live faithfully, and love sacrificially, and you’ll find happiness.
…Aim at the moon, it’s no harder on the gun.
…Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.
…There is no substitute for hard work. The working man is the happy man. The idle man is the miserable man.
WHAT WE KNOW
As we come to the beginning of a new year it’s good to think about what we know.
Some things we learn by experience—the “College of Hard Knocks.”
Some things we learn by observation—we see the truth in action.
Some things we learn by instruction—we are taught by a teacher.
Some things we learn by inspiration—a flash of insight that comes from God himself.
What troubles me is that the things we ought to know for certain we doubt.
And the things that we ought to doubt we think we know for certain.
What then should we know for certain?
The Apostle Paul said, “I know whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I’ve committed unto him against that day.” (2 Timothy 1:12).
The Apostle Peter testified, “Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.” (John 6:68ff).
The Apostle John wrote, “we know that his testimony is true.” (John 21:24).
So what is it that these first Christians, and we who are today Christians know?
What do we know for sure?
- WE KNOW THAT ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD. We believe the Bible is God’s Word and that it is infallibly teaches us what to believe and how to live. (2 Timothy 3:16).
- WE ARE SURE THAT GOD CREATED THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH. And we know that God breathed into man the breath of life. (Genesis 1:1ff)
- WE KNOW THAT GOD IS NOT WILLING THAT ANY SHOULD PERISH BUT THAT ALL SHOULD COME TO REPENTANCE (2 Peter 3:9)
- WE KNOW THAT JESUS CHRIST IS "THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE," We are sure that ll who are saved are saved by the sacrifice of Jesus the perfect Lamb of God. There is no doubt in our mind that Christ rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, and that He is coming again. (John 14:6)
5. WE ARE SURE THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT LEADS US INTO ALL TRUTH, TELLS US WE ARE BORN OF GOD, SANCTIFIES WHOLLY, GIFTS AND GRACES AND COMFORTS those who are walking not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (John 16:13)
6. WE KNOW THAT WE SHOULD LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND AND STRENGTH. (Mark 12:30) God is the joy of our heart and the desire of our soul. This is the essence of holiness! And “without holiness no man shall see the Lord.” (Hebrews 12:14).
7. WE KNOW THAT WE MUST LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OURSELF. That means we should desire his salvation as much as we desire our own. We not only love neighbors who are kind and gracious, but we love those who do not love us and those who despitefully use us. (Mark 12:31)
8. WE ARE SURE THAT IF WE EXPECT FORGIVENESS WE MUST BE FORGIVING. (Matthew 6:15)
- WE KNOW THAT WE SHOULD “REJOICE EVERMORE, PRAY WITHOUT CEASING, AND IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS.” (1 Thessalonians 5:8ff)
- WE ARE POSITIVE THAT CHRIST IS THE JUDGE OF ALL CULTURE. LOVING THIS WORLD—ITS OPINIONS, ITS ATTRACTIONS, ITS AMUSEMENTS, ITS ADORNMENTS, AND ITS VALUES—IS WRONG and will lead us away from God and godliness. We embrace Christian Culture and eschew carnal culture. (1 John 2:15)
- WE KNOW THAT ALL WHO LOVE GOD LOVE GOD’S WILL. We love to know God’s will, and we love to do what God wants us to do. “His commandments are not grievous.” (1 John 5:3)
- WE KNOW THAT THE CHURCH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. As Christ’s people we must not forsake assembling ourselves on the first day of the week to worship and to encourage one another in the faith. (Hebrews 10:25). As the family of God we are called to pray for one another, encourage one another, and care for needs of one another. (Galatians 6:9-10). Standing together we are to expose the works of darkness and be salt and light in this confused and sin-cursed generation.
- WE ARE SURE THAT ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO THEM WHO LOVE GOD. All things includes all things—our successes our failures, our triumphs our defeats, our victories and our heartaches. (Romans 8:28)
- WE KNOW THAT EVERYTHING WE DO SHOULD BE FOR THE GLORY OF GOD. The Apostle Paul tells God’s people to think and speak and act so that Christ is honored. We are glad to give ourselves to things that are pure, lovely, just, of good reputation, and virtuous. (Philippians 4:8).
- WE ARE SURE THAT WHEN THIS LIFE IS OVER THAT WE WILL SPEND ETERNITY IN HEAVEN OR SEPARATED FROM GOD IN HELL. (Matthew 25:46). Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people. Those who are not saved will be forever lost. (Luke 16:23). ONLY ONE LIFE T’WILL SOON BE PAST, ONLY WHAT’S DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST.
I am absolutely sure that these 15 facts are not opinions—they are true! Take a moment today or someday soon to think about the implications of these truths.
IF THESE THINGS ARE TRUE, What would be the practical implication for our lives? Maybe take a sheet of paper, pray for God’s wisdom, and then jot down some of those ideas that the Lord impresses upon you.
HOPE TO SEE YOU THIS WEEKEND AT FCC! If we can help you in any way please let us know. We love and appreciate you every one!
Pastor Richard M. Jones
FAITH COMMUNITY CHURCH – A Crusaders Church of America
2969 North Lindbergh Blvd, St. Louis, Missouri 63074
Telephone (314) 298-5840; Cell (314) 607-1424
FINANCIAL UPDATE: Thank you for your support of this mission. Our total offerings in 2013 were $128,400 up 2% over 2012, and 13% above 2011. In addition we paid over $30,000 down on our mortgage principal, and secured a new mortgage at a lower interest rate that cut our monthly payment by nearly $1000. PRAISE THE LORD!
As you prayerfully consider what the Lord would have you give in 2014, you can be sure that we are doing our best to spend our money in ways that will not only sustain this mission, but in ways that will reach new souls with the Gospel and strengthen the body of Christ known as FCC. There are many opportunities we have to advance the Cause of Christ, but we need financial help to move forward. Thanks for giving. Thanks for praying. Thanks for being there!