Sunday, April 6, 2014

DEVOTION - WHAT IS TRUTH?

SUNDAY, APRIL 6, 2014
14 Days to Resurrection Sunday!
John 18:38 “What is truth?”

SCRIPTURE READING: JOHN18:
 33Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
34Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me?
35Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
36Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. 37Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
38Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.
39But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?
40Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabbas was a robber.

REFLECTION:  Jesus spent His entire life answering the question that Pilate asked on our Lord’s last day. “What is truth?”

“What is truth?”  While shepherds watched their flocks outside the village of Bethlehem, the angels answered for Jesus, “Unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior who is Christ the Lord.”

“What is truth?”  It is a young 12 year old Jesus teaching and questioning the religious intelligentsia of his day, explaining, “I must be about my Father’s business.”

“What is truth?”  It is Jesus calling His disciples along the shores of Galilee, “Follow me.”  They did and they testified, “He was full of grace and truth.”

“What is truth?”  It is Jesus teaching his disciples on the hillside, “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God,” “When ye pray be not as the heathen,” “Whoever hears these sayings of mine and doeth them is like a man who built his house on a rock.” (Matthew 5-7).

“What is truth?” It is Jesus standing on the deck of a storm tossed ship saying, “Peace, be still.”

“What is truth?” It is Jesus speaking to the Samaritan woman at the well, “The hour is come, when the true worshippers will worship in spirit and in truth.” (John 4:23)

“What is truth?”  It is Jesus rescuing a woman about to be stoned for committing adultery and insisting that the one without sin cast the first stone.  And then when all her accusers left, it is Jesus forgiving, “neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more.” (John 8:11)

“What is truth?” It is Jesus exposing the pride and defective faith of the Pharisees, “If you were Abraham’s children you do the works of Abraham…ye are of your father the Devil, and the works of your father you will do.” (John 8:44)

“What is truth?” It is Jesus encouraging his disciples, “Let not your heart be troubled, ye believe in God believe also in me… I go to prepare a place for you… I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me.”  (John 14:1-6).

“What is truth?” It is Jesus praying for his disciples, “Sanctify them through thy truth, thy word is truth.” (John 17:17)

“What is truth?” It is Jesus comforting the grieving sisters outside Bethany, “I am the resurrection and the life, he that believeth in me shall never die.”  Then he weeps.  Then He says, “Lazarus come forth!”  And he did.

“What is truth?” It is Jesus promising his disciples that he would be crucified, buried, and rise again on the third day.  And He did.

Truth corresponds to reality.  Truth is absolute.  Truth is knowable. But it is more.

Truth is more than a philosophical construct. It is more than a universal principle.  Truth is a person, and Pilate, Truth is standing before you.

PRAYER: Father in Heaven, In a world that is so filled with sleight of hand, false teachers, and deception, we thank you for The Truth!  Thank you for teaching us the truth.  Thank you for showing us the truth.  Thank you for being the Truth.  Thank you for your Word—both incarnate and written.  We pray that our lives would be ordered by your Truth.  May we be people of integrity.  Fill us with the Spirit of Truth we humbly ask.   In the loving name of Jesus, Amen.  “Our Father, &c.”

No comments:

Post a Comment