Saturday, March 8, 2014

ENEMIES OF THE CROSS- DAILY DEVOTION

SATURDAY, MARCH 8, 2014
44 Days to Resurrection Sunday
Philippians 3:18 “They are enemies of the cross…”

SCRIPTURE READING: PHILIPPIANS 3:13-4:1
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. 16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself. 4.1 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.

REFLECTION: Four words in this passage hit me hard. They always have.  I hope they always will. 

They were words that deeply moved the Apostle as he wrote to the Philippians. With scalding tears coursing down his weathered cheek Paul warns us. Some are “ENEMIES OF THE CROSS.”

How could anyone be an enemy of the cross of Christ?  Where are these imposters? Who are these opponents? Why are they enemies of the dear Lamb of God? 

The Apostle answers: their God is their belly (they live to eat, drink, and be merry with no reference to eternity), their glory is their shame (they are so smug and proud they have convinced themselves that their godlessness is actually godliness), and they mind earthly things (their attention is focused on the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and desires for other things). 

God knows if we are “enemies” or “friends” of the cross.  Jesus said, “Ye are my friends if ye do whatsoever I command you.” (John 14:15).  May we ever “cling to the Old Rugged Cross, and exchange it someday for a crown!”


PRAYER: Our Father which art in Heaven, Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory forever!  Our hearts are moved with deep gratitude as we think that you so loved us that you gave your only begotten Son for us.  “That God should love a sinner such as I, how wonderful is love like this!”  We pray that we would never say, or do, or think anything that would set us against the cross.  Search our hearts, know our thoughts, and see if there is any wicked way in us.  Forgive us for opposing and resisting your will.  May we always be friends of the Christ who suffered, and bled, and died to save us from the guilt, the power, and the penalty of sin.“Oh how I love Jesus, Oh how I love Jesus, Oh how I love Jesus, because He first loved me!”  In His name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment