Friday, March 14, 2014

DAILY DEVOTION - MY GOD, MY GOD



FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2013
38 Days to Resurrection Sunday
Psalm 22:  “My God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

SCRIPTURE READING: PSALM 22:1-2; 6-8; 11-21; 26-31.
1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head saying,
8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
19 But be not thou far from me, O Lord: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;save me from the horns of the wild oxen.

26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
28 For the kingdom is the Lord's: and he is the governor among the nations.
29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.
31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

REFLECTION: The 22nd Psalm, written by King David one-thousand years before Messiah, offers both personal and prophetic testimony. 

Like every man“after God’s own heart,” David knew the thrill of victory and the crush of defeat.  He knew the utter loneliness that belongs to men who stand for right.“Why hast thou forsaken me?”He knew the total dependence that belongs to men who rise up with the Lord againstblaspheming giants. “O Lord: O my strength, haste to help me!”  And he confidently knew that victory was certain for “The Kingdom is the Lord’s.”

But it cannot be coincidence that this one Psalm contains no less than 12 specific prophecies that were fulfilled at the death of Jesus of Nazareth.  It is no wonder that students of the Word call this a “Messianic Psalm.”

After writhing in excruciating pain on the cross for nearly six hours, the mid-afternoon sky now veiled in darkness, Jesus summoned enough strength to utter, “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me!”This fourth saying from the cross was a direct quote from the first verse of the 22nd Psalm.  For centuries the Jews believed this Psalm referred to their coming Messiah.  Though His strength was fading, by whispering these words Jesus was pleading with His lost brethren to know Him as their Savior.  “He loved them unto the end.”

Some have supposed that at this moment the divine nature departed from Christ so that only his human nature was left to bear the punishment we so certainly deserved. The Gnostics of the ancient world and the followers of The Watchtower commonly known as Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that today.  But take away deity from any redeeming act of Christ and redemption is ruined.

The Psalmist prophesies of One…
… who would be verbally abused, ( v.6  But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. v.7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head saying…)
…whose trust in God would be ridiculed,(v. 8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him)
…who would be surrounded by enemies,(v. 12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round…)
…who would be physically weakened, (v. 14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. v. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.)
…who would be thirsty, (v.15)
…who would be surrounded by enemies (v.16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: …)
…whose hands and feet would be pierced (v.16… they pierced my hands and my feet.)
…whose bones would not be broken (v. 17  I may tell all my bones…)
…who would be stared at by the people (v. 17… they look and stare upon me.)
…whose clothing would be won by gambling (v. 18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.)
…whose prayers would be heard by God (v.21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions; save me from the horns of the wild oxen)

Every one of these prophesies is specifically mentioned and confirmed in the New Testament. In fact, fulfilled prophecy throughout all of Scripture is one of the most powerful evidences that God’s Word is inspired and without error.  “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable…”

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me!”Christ endured the cross alone in time that we would never endure that unspeakable loneliness of Christlessness in eternity.

PRAYER: Abba Father, We stand on a sliver of finitude between two infinities.  Had it not been for Calvary we would not be standing.  Had it not been for your sacrifice, we would have only known infinite loneliness, unfulfilled desire, and the torments of hell.  Yet you were not willing that we should perish.  You loved us.  You cared for us. You taught us.  You showed us. You prayed for us. You suffered for us. You died for us.  You rose again for us.  You ascended to heaven to intercede for us.  And, Hallelujah, You are coming again for us!  May we live today, and every day, honoring that sacrifice you made for our unworthy souls. In the name of God’s Holy Son, Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.  Our Father &c.



REFERENCE: The forsaken Christ  Psalm 22:1  Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34 Verbally abused by men  Psalm 22:6-7  Matthew 26:67-68, 27:27-31 Trust in God ridiculed  Psalm 22:8  Matthew 27:39-44, Mark 15:29-32, Luke 23:35, 39 Surrounded by enemies  Psalm 22:12  Matthew 27:27-31, Mark 15:16-20 Physically weakened  Psalm 22:14-15  Matthew 27:32, Mark 15:21, Luke 23:26 Thirsty  Psalm 22:15  John 19:28 Surrounded by enemies  Psalm 22:16  Matthew 27:39-44 Hands and feet pierced  Psalm 22:16  John 20:20, 25 Bones not broken  Psalm 22:17  John 19:31-36 Stared at by the people  Psalm 22:17  Matthew 27:55-56, Luke 23:35, 48-49, John 19:20 Lots cast for His clothing  Psalm 22:18  Matthew 27:35, Mark 15:24, Luke 23:34, John 19:23-24 God heard His prayers  Psalm 22:21, 24  Hebrews 5:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment