Thursday, May 24, 2012

9 DAYS TO PENTECOST



9 DAYS TO PENTECOST

TEXT:  ROMANS 8:16
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:.

KEY TEXT: Romans 8:16 “…The Spirit bears witness with our spirit…”

REFLECTION: 

The songwriter affirms the Apostle’s testimony, “Blessed Assurance! Jesus is mine.  Oh what a foretaste of glory divine!” 

The doctrine of the immediate (un-mediated by other men or institutions) impression by God’s Spirit on our spirits that we are the children of God was neglected, if not rejected, by many in the medieval Church.  The Reformers—Luther, Calvin, Arminius--and later the great preachers of the Great Awakening---Wesley, Whitefield, and Edwards, recovered and proclaimed this precious truth. 

John Wesley clearly defined the Witness of God’s Spirit as “an impression on the soul whereby the Spirit of God immediately and directly witnesses to my spirit that I am a child of God, that Jesus Christ has loved me and given himself for me; that all my sins are blotted out, and I, even I, am reconciled to God.” (Plain Account of Christian Perfection).

This witness is not the result of rational reflection, though that is certainly important.  Neither is this witness the consequence of intellectual agreement with particular Christian creeds.  Rather, this is God’s Spirit directly witnessing to our spirits that we are truly His.

Charles Wesley, John’s brother explained it like this in his familiar hymn, “The Spirit answers to the blood, and tells me I’ve been born of God!”

If the error of the medieval Church was that they accented the objective truths of Christianity to the neglect of the witness of the Spirit, the excess of the contemporary Church is that we have turned The Faith into a subjective, feelings based, “I felt like it was right” religion that rejects objective truth.  People justify the grossest of sins saying things like, “I prayed and I didn’t feel bad about it so…I moved in with my boyfriend…”

We are again reminded of the Apostle John’s advice.  “Test the spirits whether they be of God.” 

Those who long for the witness of God’s Spirit that they are the children of God will experience that blessed assurance when their repentance is thorough, their faith is sincere, and their love for God is undivided.  No one will be denied.  God Word promises, “The Spirit bears witness with our spirits that we are the children of God!”  

No wonder we sing:

He abides, He abides.
Hallelujah, He abides with me!
I’m rejoicing night and day
As I walk the narrow way,
For the Comforter abides with me.

PRAYER: Our Father in Heaven, We are so blessed by the witness of thy Spirit.  To know that we are truly born of God, redeemed by the blood of Christ, and walking in the Spirit, brings joy to our souls!  We pray that the witness of thy Spirit would enlighten, encourage, and inspire our hearts today. May the knowledge that we are wholly Thine bring both comfort and joy.  And may the radiance of thy Spirit shine through us and be seen in our homes, our churches, and our world.  In Jesus Name, Amen. “Our Father, &c.”

No comments:

Post a Comment