Thursday, April 5, 2012

GOOD FRIDAY + DAILY DEVOTION + April 6, 2012


FRIDAY, APRIL 6 2012
John 19:22 “What I have written I have written…King of the Jews.”

SCRIPTURE READING: JOHN 19:19-22
19And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.
 20This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.
 21Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews.
 22Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.

REFLECTION: 
Ignoring his own considered opinion, “I find no fault in Him,” disregarding the advice of his wife, “Have nothing to do with this just man,” and discounting the lack of criminal evidence, “for envy the Jews had delivered Him,” Pontius Pilate yielded to the Chief Priest and ordered our Lord’s execution.

Customarily the convicted would be preceded to his execution by man carrying a sign inscribed with the condemned man’s indictment.  When crucified, the sign would be nailed above his head. Pilate ordered Christ’s indictment to be written in Latin, Hebrew, and Greek.

When the Chief Priest saw Christ’s indictment, “The King of the Jews,” they protested to Pilate. They urged him to write, “He Said I Am King of the Jews.”  This time the Roman prefect refused to oblige the self-righteous. Pilate declared, “What I have written, I have written.”

Pilate’s assertion meant more to the Jews than meets the eye.  They knew that he not only meant that “what is done is done,” but “what is done shall continue.”  Christ Jesus was, is, and always will be “The King of Jews!”  And what is more, He was, is, and always will be my King.

We call today, the day our Lord was crucified, “Good Friday.” It was not “good” because there was no suffering, it was “good” because provision was made to avert an eternity of suffering.  It was not “good” because sin was invisible, it was “good” because Christ proved invincible.  It was not “good” because hate was not on display, it was “good” because the love of God was shown to be greater.

PRAYER: (Today’s Prayer is adapted from John Wesley’s Daily Prayer Book.)
Almighty and Everlasting God, We praise your Holy Name for so loving this sin cursed world that you gave your only Begotten Son. 

+O Jesus, poor and abject, unknown and despised, have mercy upon me and let me not be ashamed to follow Thee.
+O Jesus, hated, calumniated, and persecuted, have mercy upon me and let me not be afraid to come after Thee.
+O Jesus, betrayed and sold at a vile price, have mercy upon me and make me content to be as my Master.
+O Jesus, blasphemed, accused and wrongfully condemned, have mercy upon me, and teach me to endure the contradiction of sinners.
+O Jesus, clothed with a habit of reproach and shame, have mercy upon me, and let me not seek my own glory.
+O Jesus, insulted, mocked, and spit upon, have mercy upon me, and let me run with patience the race that is set before me.
+O Jesus, dragged to the pillar, scourged, and bathed in blood, have mercy upon me and let me not faint in the fiery trial.
+O Jesus, crowned with thorns and hailed in derision;
+O Jesus, burdened with our sins, and the cures of the people,
+O Jesus, affronted, ouraged, buffeted, overwhelmed with injuries, griefs, and humiliations;
+O Jesus, hanging upon the accursed tree, bowing the head, giving up the ghost,
Have mercy upon me, and conform my whole soul to thy Holy, humble, suffering Spirit. 

O Thou who for the love of me hath undergone such an infinity of sufferings and humiliations, let me too be wholly emptied of myself, that I may rejoice to take up my cross daily and follow Thee.  Enable me too to endure the pain and despise the shame, and if it be thy Will to resist even unto blood.

In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ we pray, Amen. “Our Father, &c.”

No comments:

Post a Comment