Monday, September 7, 2015

IT'S TOO MUCH TRAUMA... NOT JUST DRAMA



Why are children acting like this?  What’s wrong with teenagers?  We want them to “grow well and love well,” but in far too many cases our young people are emotionally fragile, distrustful, and simply missing the mark.  They are zoned out, anesthetized by the latest beat and drifting through life in search of something—anything that makes them feel good.
Psychiatrists tell us that it’s more than just drama, it’s trauma that is to blame.  Researchers now report that a growing number of our children and teens have been severely impacted by the tragedies they have witnessed and experienced.

So last Friday evening I asked my teens if they had experienced a major life-changing trauma—a trauma they had witnessed, or something they had experienced.  As over half of the young people raised their hands my heart was broken.


I didn’t probe.  I didn’t want to embarrass them publicly.  Some of their stories I already knew.  They have been abused physically and tortured sexually.  They have seen relatives and parents fighting—some with guns.  Most of their parents are not married. Many of those that are married have been married several times. And some are living in homes with “two mommies.” Some are orphans.


They have awakened in the morning to find their parents so drugged or drunk that they could not wake them up.  Some have wondered why their mothers or fathers did not come home for days at a time. Imagine being a 3rd grader trying to fend for yourself wondering if anyone would come to help.  One teen’s father told him that his mother was dead.  For more than 10 years he’s thought he could never see his mother again. Last week he found out she’s actually alive. 


Truthfully, sometimes I’m tempted to think it’s hopeless.  These young people have been damaged.


But God!  God so loved!  God so loved the world!


The loving care of our Lord Jesus has transformational power that is unparalleled.  Government programs can’t match it.  Educational curriculum can’t surpass it.  Psychology can’t provide it.  Medicine can’t medicate it.


If we can carry these precious wounded hearts to our loving Savior their trauma can be transformed.  I like the way one song writer puts it, “Turn your test into a testimony!”


That’s why FCC has for 19 years been dedicated to press forward our bus and outreach ministry.  Since September of 1996 FCC has introduced thousands of children to the love of Christ.  We have compassionately sown the seed of the Gospel in the hearts of “the least among us” with the conviction that God’s Word will not return void.  More and more of them are victims of trauma.  How wonderful to present them to Jesus.


Should you be one who has experienced a life-changing trauma let’s pray: “OUR FATHER, Creator and Keeper of the Universe. Thank you for loving me, for listening to me, and for lifting me.  I pray that your love would fill every part of my heart.  I pray that you would forgive me for mistrusting your love and disobeying your perfect will.  I pray that you would heal my wounded heart and help me to help others.  I am totally yours.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment