Saturday, May 9, 2015

MOTHERS, HOLD ON!


Her children arise up, and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praiseth her.
Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain:
but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
P  R O V E R B S   3 1 : 2 8 – 3 0

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY WEEKEND!  We certainly are grateful for our good and godly mothers.  Some will wander down memory lane this weekend as their mothers are today safe in the arms of Jesus.  The rest of us will want to express our deep love and gratitude with a nice letter or a card, a special gift, and if time and distance allow—a warm hug.

One of our first memories is of our mother’s loving touch.  Indeed there’s nothing like the personal touch—especially the touch of mother.  Research proves what we know by experience, touch is crucial to social bonding and individual development. 


I’ve recently read that the children raised in the isolation of Romanian Orphanages, in the 1980’s and 1990’s, did not grow and mature as they should and were notable for compulsive rocking, and other self-soothing behaviors.  Their lack of touch produced disorders of mood, cognition, and self-control.

Children who were rescued from those cold orphanages and held for an hour a day showed amazing improvement.  “Touch,” writes one researcher, “is not optional for human development.”

This kind of touch hasn’t always been appreciated.  In fact in the 1920’s Psychologist John Watson cautioned parents against spoiling their children with physical affection.  He wrote,”Let your behavior always be objective and kindly firm.  Never hug and kiss them.  Never let them sit on your lap.  If you must kiss them once on the forehead when they say goodnight.  Shake hands with them in the morning.  Given them a pat on the head if they have made an extraordinary good job of a difficult task.” 

How grateful I am for mothers who love God’s Word and His Way! I love the tenderhearted, compassionate, kind, caring, correcting, warm ways of godly mothers.

 
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD ME UNTIL I WAS READY TO BE BORN!
Life begins at conception.
 
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD ME AFTER I WAS BORN!
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD ME WHEN I WAS HURTING!
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD ME UP WHEN I STUMBLED!
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD ME TO DISCIPLINE ME!
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD BEFORE ME A GREAT EXAMPLE
OF CHRISTIAN FAITH, HOPE, AND LOVE!
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD ME TO A HIGH STANDARD!
I’M THANKFUL FOR A MOTHER WHO HELD ME UP IN PRAYER!


Not only am I grateful for the touch of mother, I’m blessed by the touch of the Master! 

It’s not surprising that Bill Gaither’s Gospel song has, well, touched so many hearts.

He touched me!  Oh He touched me!

And Oh the Joy that floods my soul.

Something wonderful happened, and now I know!

He touched me, and made me whole!


It’s the Master’s touch that brings life.

It’s the Master’s touch that brings healing.

It’s the Master’s touch that brings peace.

It’s the Master’s touch that brings meaning.

It’s the Master’s touch that brings assurance.

It’s the Master’s touch that brings comfort.

It’s the Master’s touch that floods our souls with the love of God!
 

I hope you’ll take a moment now to reach out to Jesus.  He’s reaching out to you. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment