Monday, April 13, 2015

PETER, DO YOU LOVE ME? LOOK WHO'S ASKING...

From A Message Preached Sunday Evening, April 12, 2015
FAITH COMMUNITY CHURCH  - A Crusaders Church of America
______________________________________________________

"Peter, Do you love me?"
LOOK WHO'S ASKING...

To be sure that the denier knew he was invited, the Lord had the angel invite him personally to meet up.  "Tell the disciples and Peter that Jesus wants to meet them in Galilee."   (Mark 16:7). 

While seated around a warm fire on that cool Spring morning, as the light of the rising sun danced on the placid sea of Galilee, Jesus gave Peter another chance.  "Do you love me Peter?" He asks.  "Sure, I love you!" Peter quickly replied.  Again, and then again Jesus asks, "Do you love me?" 

Before you answer the question Peter, look who's asking.

The Word who is One with the Father is asking, "Do you love me?" (John 1:1)
The Word who became flesh is asking, "Do you love me?"  (John 1:14)
The Word who created everything, and everywhere, and every life is asking, "Do you love me?" (John 1:3)

Before you say another word Peter, look who's asking if you love Him.

The Christ, the Son of the living God is asking, "Do you love me?" (John 6:69)
The Messiah is asking, Do you love me?"  (John 4:46)
The Bread of Life (John 6:35), The Light of the World (John 9:5), The Door of the Sheep (John 10:7), The Good Shepherd who gives his life for the sheep (John 10:11) is asking you Peter, "Do you love me?"

Peter, look who's asking if you love Him.

"The Vine" is asking you Peter, "Do you love me?"
Peter, look who's asking! The Great I AM is asking (John 8:58), "Do you love me?"
The Resurrection and the Life is asking. "Peter do you love me?"  (John 11:25).

Look who's asking if you love Him.

The One who healed your dreadfully ill mother in law is asking, "Do you love me?"
Your rescuer--(remember when you began to sink beneath the tide of the Galilee?)--is asking, "Peter, do you love me?"
Your suffering, bleeding, and dying Savior is asking you Peter, "Do you love me?"

Peter, look!

The Savior who called you to be a fisher of men is asking, "Do you love me?"
The Jesus who called you out of darkness into His glorious light is asking, "Do you love me?"
The One who called you to be holy is asking, "Do you love me?"

Peter, look who's asking if you love Him.

Your best friend is asking you Peter, "Do you love me?"
Your intercessor is asking you, "Do you love me?"
Your coming again Lord is asking, "Do you love me?"

And amazing as all that was, this same Jesus is asking you, and He is asking me, "Do YOU love me?"

The fact that Christ loves us is settled. He loves every son and daughter of Adam's helpless race.  What remains for us, is what remained to be settled on that fateful day.  "Do we love Him?"  "Rick do you love me?" "Jon do you love me?" "Nicole do you love me?" "Ruth do you love me?"

Sure we must believe that Christ is who He is.
Sure we must confess that He is the Lord of Lords and King of Kings.
Sure we must trust in His Word and His saving blood.

But unless we fervently love Him with a pure heart we cannot see Him.  May we give our Lord a straight, and unequivocal answer-- "I love you!"















No comments:

Post a Comment