Monday, March 12, 2012

GOD COMMENDED HIS LOVE ... Daily Devotion, Monday, March 12, 2012

MONDAY, MARCH 12, 2012
Romans 5:8 “But God commendeth His love toward us…Christ died for us.”

SCRIPTURE READING: ROMANS 5:1-11
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

REFLECTION: One year after American troops were withdrawn from Vietnam I entered the University of Illinois. There were still campus buildings with boarded windows from violent anti-war protests. I stood near the Student Union building preaching the Gospel to students who were on their way to classes or seated on the lawn.

With my Bible in hand, I raised my voice. “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.” (John 3:16) That was always my opening text. I knew that no matter how nervous I was, I would not forget the golden text of the Bible. As students gathered around to listen I felt impressed to focus on God’s gift.

I asked for a show of hands; “How many of you have a friend that you would truthfully be willing to die for?” One student shyly lifted his hand. “How many of you would die for your worst enemy?” I asked. Not one student raised a hand.

That is exactly what the Lord Jesus Christ did for us.
While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
While we were cynical and skeptical of God’s will, Christ died for us.
While we were resisting God’s authority, Christ died for us.
While we were unconcerned about God’s judgment, Christ died for us.
While we were undeserving of God’s love, Christ died for us.
While we were powerless, (though we professed we were the greatest), Christ died for us!

He came to us. He lived for us. He prayed for us. But here is love beyond degree, “Christ died for us!”

Suddenly I am smitten.

Paul tells me: “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.” (Ephesians 5:25) Whether or not your wife deserves your love, Husbands love as Christ loved.

The Scripture presses me: “Forgive one another, if any has a quarrel against any, as Christ forgave you so also do ye! Put on charity.” (Colossians 3:13,14) Forgiveness is humbling, but it is not optional. Forget the fussing and start forgiving!

The Apostle commands me, “Be followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:1-2). Living the sacrificial life is my duty.

Peter tells me, “Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.” (1 Peter 4:1-2) Giving, and demonstrating Christ-love in a fallen world is costly, and sometimes painful, but it is right and will be rewarded.

And I am urged, “Receive one another, as Christ also received us.” (Romans 15:7) Even those who I am sure are unworthy of my love, I love.

How grateful I am for Christ’s love. How convicted I am by Christ’s command, “For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.” (John 13:15)

PRAYER: Our Father, How deeply grateful we are for your great love. You loved us while we were sinners. We cannot thank you enough. But Lord what of our love for you? We confess our need, “More love to Thee, O Christ! More love to Thee!” What of our love for our brothers and sisters in the family of God? Grant that we would see them through your loving eyes. And what of the masses who are so miserable and creating misery, blinded and chained by sin? Oh God, fill my heart with a love for them. May I love you and them more than life itself. May my purpose be singular—to love as Christ loved. In the strong name of Jesus. Amen. “Our Father &c”

No comments:

Post a Comment