Friday, January 20, 2012

Politics and the Pulpit


Every so often someone complains, “Pastor Rick, you’re too political in your preaching.”

Because I truly love people I certainly do not want to say or to do anything that drives people away from our Lord Jesus.  I pray that the Lord (and my congregation) will forgive me for speaking when I should be listening, and for saying what I should have left unsaid.

I also pray that the Lord will find me a faithful shepherd.  The writer to the Hebrews tells us that faithful ministers “watch for your souls, as they that must give account.” (Hebrews 13:17).  The Apostle Paul told the Church leaders at Ephesus to “take heed to themselves and to the flock...for grievous wolves [would] enter in not sparing the flock.”  (Acts 20:26-31).

God has not called me to be a political partisan--a democrat or a republican--but as Ambassador for Christ He has given me explicit instruction: (1.) To preach the Gospel of salvation through sanctification and belief of the truth (2 Thessalonians 2:13), (2.) to Warn the lost and the backsliders of God’s judgment--It is appointed unto man once to die, and after this the judgment. (Hebrews 9:27) and (3.) to “cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show my people their transgression.” (Isaiah 58:1).

Standing before the Judge of all the Earth, we will not be asked if we voted “Republican” or “Democrat.” All that will matter in that hour is that our hearts are pure from all sin, that our minds are fully persuaded that God’s Word is right and that God’s Will is best, and that our lives have been lived to the glory of God.

Standing against murder--at any age--is far more than a political position--it is a moral mandate!
Upholding Biblical marriage is more than a partisan statement, it is a righteous commitment.
Standing  against greed is more than a political value, it is a Christian virtue.

America stands in desperate need of a moral awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment