Tuesday, October 4, 2011

WHEN THE CAPTAIN TURNS THE "FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT" SIGN ON

With all the troubles in our world, our nation, and in the churches today, I sometimes feel like I'm on an airplane going through the ups and downs and turns of severe turbulence. As I was thinking about our plight, it occurred to me that if we were actually flying, the captain of the plane would be turning on the FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT sign right about now. 
 
I got really excited about preaching an original sermon, "WHEN THE CAPTAIN TURNS ON THE 'FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT' sign. Then I was more than a bit deflated to Google that title and discover that several other preachers had beat me to the punch. Oh well. Wasn't it Solomon who said, "There's nothing new under the sun."
 
Yet the concept is still something worth considering. And it seems to that Psalm 37 was written to passengers facing circumstances like we are facing.
 
FRET NOT thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
 
TRUST IN THE LORD AND DO GOOD so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed...
 
DELIGHT THYSELF IN THE LORD and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
 
COMMIT THY WAY UNTO THE LORD; TRUST also in him; and he shall bring it to pass...
 
REST IN THE LORD and wait patiently for him: ...
 
CEASE FROM ANGER and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil...
 
The STEPS OF A GOOD MAN ARE ORDERED by the LORD; and he delighteth in his way.
Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand...
 
WAIT ON THE LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: ...
 
Remember the story of the lad who was a passenger on a plane heading into turbulence. The older passenger seated next to him was anxious and fearful, while the lad was calm and assured. When finally the older man asked why the lad was so confident the boy replied, "THE PILOT IS MY DAD!"
 
What a great comfort and joy it is know that we can trust the Pilot of our Souls! Nothing we face will come as a surprise to Him. No question we face is greater than His wisdom. No enemy we face is stronger than His power. 
 
Actually the only question we must answer is this: Will we let HIM be our pilot? Those who take the controls into their own hands are destined to defeat and destruction. Those who yield to Him, will testify,
 
I have found a deep peace that I never had known
And a joy this world could not afford -
Since I yielded control of my body and soul
To my wonderful, wonderful Lord.

    Chorus My wonderful Lord, my wonderful Lord By angels and seraphs in Heaven adored! I know Thou art mine, my Savior divine My wonderful, wonderful Lord.
I desire that my life shall be ordered by Thee
That my will be in perfect accord -
With Thine own sov'reign will
Thy desires to fulfill




All the talents I have I have laid at Thy Feet
Thy approval shall be my reward.
Be my store great or small
I surrender it all
To my wonderful, wonderful Lord.

 
PASTOR RICK JONES
FAITH COMMUNITY CHURCH of ST. LOUIS - CRUSADERS CHURCH USA
2969 N. Lindbergh Blvd, St. Ann, MO 63047
Tel. (314) 298-5840; Cell. (314) 607-1424

E-mail: PastorRick@FCCToday.org
Web Page: www.FCCToday.org
Blog: www.PastorRickJones.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment